The state of Texas has always been very strict with drug charges. Prosecutors and the police department in Houston work around the clock to prove to the public how tough they are against the use and possession of illegal substances. If you happen to be arrested for a drug crime in Texas, you need to have an in-depth understanding of the law. Because the judicial system won’t hesitate to put you behind bars or serve you with hefty fines if you are found guilty.
Working with an experienced and skilled criminal defense lawyer is crucial if you get arrested for drug possession or use in Texas. The sentences for drug crimes in Texas differ with the penalty group the substance falls under. In penalty group 1, the state’s controlled substances act lists heroin, cocaine, ketamine, GHB, and methamphetamine. Penalty group 1a comprises of LSD’s. Group 2 contains hash oils, hashish, PCP, and ecstasy. The last category which is group 3 entails barbiturates and anabolic steroids.
Irrespective of the type of drug one is arrested for using or possessing, the consequences of such a conviction can be life-changing. It may affect your immigration status, ability to get employment, borrow money, student loans and also make it hard for you to find a place to rent. Because of all these reasons, you need to hire a criminal defense lawyer who will help prove your innocence.
Why Should I Hire a Criminal Defense Lawyer?
There is a high chance that you may face felony charges if you get charged with a drug crime in Houston. This means that you are at risk of losing your right to own a firearm as well as to vote. These are just some of the many consequences you are likely to face if convicted. Getting strong legal help prevents you from experiencing all the above.
A criminal defense lawyer will be at the forefront of your case. He/she will look into the allegations and dispute witness statements, police reports, lab results, and anything else that may be tabled against you in court. A good drug defense lawyer will participate fully in your case and identify information that can be used to turn the case in your favor.
How Do I Know Who is the Best Houston Drug Defense Attorney?
Considering how harsh the Texas law is towards drug crimes, you need to work only with the best attorneys. If you perform a quick search of Houston drug defense lawyers, you will be presented with hundreds of them. Filtering through all these law firms is time-consuming and if you or a loved one has just been arrested, you need to work fast. To help you identify the best Houston drug defense lawyers, here are some of the criteria you should use when hiring one.
The right Texas Drug Defense Attorney should;
- Be board-certified and licensed to operate.
- Have experience in drug defense. Finding one who has worked on cases similar to yours is a plus.
- Be knowledgeable about the law.
- Must have a proven track record of helping people win charges against drug crimes.
Look out for the above information on the attorney’s website. And if it’s not available, ask the questions in person and don’t hesitate to ask for proof. If a lawyer meets the above criteria, not only will you have a higher chance of winning the case, but you will enjoy peace of mind knowing that your case is being handled by professionals.
What Can I Expect from a Texas Drug Defense Attorney?
Having settled on hiring a particular attorney to represent you in court, here is what you can expect from them. Your attorney will;
- Appear in court on your behalf. If you are released on bond, you will be required to attend all hearings. This may not be possible especially if you want to lead a normal life, that is go to work and be with family. Your lawyer can represent you in court.
- Give you insight into the case and interpret the law for you. If you aren’t familiar with the criminal justice process, your attorney will educate you on it. They will also answer questions regarding your charges.
- Predict what may happen using the reference of similar cases. This is where experience comes in handy. An attorney who has solved similar drug charges can predict outcomes. These predictions will help you know what to and what not to expect.
- Give you expert advice. Thanks to their knowledge of the law, there is no better person to give you legal advice other than your lawyer.
- Investigate your case and review all statements. This is very crucial as it could help you win the case. Through investigations, a criminal defense attorney can find evidence that was obtained illegally and suppress it.
- Come up with a strategy to defend you during the trial.
- Choose a jury that may be more lenient to your case.
- Negotiate for dismissal or lesser charges.
No matter how simple or serious your drug charges are, working with an experienced Houston Drug Defense Attorney guarantees a favorable outcome. Being arrested for drug crimes in Texas can be stressing and overwhelming, and that’s why you should hire a criminal defense attorney to hold your hand throughout the entire justice process.